I am reminded it is the third day of April. April.
As the birds springtime music echoed in the cold silent air,
I watched as three neighborhood residents shoveled out the school bus which got stuck in the snow innocently trying to do it's duty on a spring morning. Spring morning. Repeat: SPRING. This all seems like one big contradiction. No matter how many times we try to think it, say it, or otherwise convince Mother Nature, she is being a rebel this year. So we decided to be rebellious back-Snow, or no snow, we decided to- no, not plant flowers- get some baby chickens! Surely the fact that chicks have hatched is a sign that Spring really is here...
Spring is welcomed by a nice thick blanket of white.
After researching a bit, I decided on two breeds which are dual purpose birds. They lay well, and they are good to eat when their laying is over. They are also gentle and friendly, almost like pets. We have 3 Rhode Island Reds, and 4 Barred Plymouth Rocks. The kids each got to pick and name one for their own.
Kami with her Rhode Island Red- Cinnamon (or more recently Sprinkle)
Dallin absolutely loved the little cheeping puffballs. His is a Barred Rock, named Chicken Licken. (We marked each of their beaks a different colored with a marker to tell them apart)
Porter with Midnight, Lindsey with Pecky, and Spencer with Red. I cannot tell you how EXCITED they have been to get these chicks! Lindsey has been calling the CAL Ranch store almost constantly....Do you have any chicks in yet? Finally, the day has arrived! I have one named Henny Penny, and Ryan named his Red Hawk. They stay inside in their little box for about 4-6 weeks, then we'll move them outside.
Believe it or not, the first couple days of Spring were gorgeous...Here we are a couple weeks ago doing our first dutch oven meal of the season---the kids teepees and "watchtower" in the background. (They've had so much fun with all the neighborhood kids building, and playing "tribe".
Other random pictures from daily life
This is what happens after you do a big shopping trip to Win Co.
Spencer and Lindsey decided to jam one morning. They had fun, and got all excited about starting their own band. Hmmmm....might be awhile.
Lindsey's new haircut.
A pretty rainbow following a thunderstorm...first time I've ever heard a thunderstorm while it's still cold with snow on the ground...but it happened, and then a rainbow to boot! (This was several days ago, before the big snow)
2 comments:
Wow! Look at that snow! I can't believe it! We just got home from Little League games. I got a bit o' a sun burn. I'll try not to rub it in. :)
We have friends down here with chickens and they totally love it too! Your kids are going to have a lot of fun with them. You guys are always doing something so fun! We're coming home for the 4th of July celebration this year. Maybe we will be able to see you guys! Love ya!
Hey there! Congrats on the new chicks. I had two...Butter and Hahn. Hahn liked to chase me around the back yard when I'd go out to feed him. Scared me to death!!! Butter was much more gentle :-)We have snow too and anxiously awaiting spring. Lindsey looks so pretty in the picture of her sitting with the guitar! Give them my love!
Post a Comment