Monday, July 18, 2011

Date Night

If you are married to Ryan, which I am, you have to understand something. His idea of break or vacation has nothing to do with relaxing. That's why I've been training for our date night for some time, just so I can keep up with him. No, not a marathon, 10k, 5k, 3k, 2k, 1k or anything with a K in it. Well actually, it does have a K in it. The word is hike. Not just any hike. Think hike Ryan style. Intense and most definitely extreme.

Climbing Table Rock.

Just because he's done it multiple times in record time does not mean it is easy. I found that out on our most recent Friday night date. And I really do mean night.

Take off time from the trail head: 3:15 pm.

Wow. By the first ten minutes of climbing the face my thighs and calves were burning like Ryan's dutch oven cooking when company comes over and he's distracted talking. Not just any burning. Bad! So much for running 4 miles in the mornings. I should have been running up vertical hills. Oh well, too late. Only 4 miles to go ....most of the way with snow shoes clinging to my boots.


3 hours later we are almost there....you can see table rock behind me, and the top of the Grand Teton right behind that. That tells you how high we are!

7:30 pm and we join a marmot on the summit of Table Rock

Beautiful views and cool mountain breeze make all the pain worth it....Now we have to go back down!








The way back down was much more pleasant. The snowshoes helped as we glided down the mountain. By the time we were back down to the face we had to turn on our headlamps. The stars were beautiful and the air peaceful and quiet. We finally reached the car around 10:45 pm. At home we put in our take and bake pizza and had a real live midnight snack. Then he asked me out again. I said.... yes! This time for August. Same thing, minus the snow. Hopefully next time I won't still be sore 3 days after!!

1 comment:

maeg said...

Sounds just like a Ryan-date! You guys like you're having a fun summer! And you look amazing by the way!!!