THE WIKIUP
Recently Ryan has been dreaming about taking the family up into the mountains and building a WIKIUP that we can ski into during the winter. Well, last Saturday he finally took Spencer and Porter and mountain biked up Bear Gulch. They found the "perfect spot" and started the project. This Saturday, Ryan took Spencer and Lindsey. Another family also came up and helped out, and by the end of the day, their wiki was complete! They made sure and stocked it with firewood so it will be all ready for a cozy ski trip!
FALL FUN
We had a fun Halloween. The older kids all wanted to dress up as scarecrows. Ryan told them he had been a scarecrow when he was little, and since then they had their minds set to be like dad! Kami was a pretty little flower, and Dallin was the odd ball giraffe. We went to the trunk or treat at the church, which always has a huge turn out. That was plenty of candy for us! Oh, and those two butternut squash...Lindsey turned them into two Indians. She helped me "scalp" them and turn them into soup! (Thanks cousin Diana for a great recipe!)
MY SIDE OF THE BACK YARD
One of the books we recently finished reading together was My Side of the Mountain. As soon as we finished, Spencer and Lindsey were all determined to go out and live on the land. Mom? Can we go out and live out side for a couple weeks? Sure kids.... So they got all excited...Spencer drew out plans for the shelter, and Lindsey planned the menu. She decided to make a pansy cattail salad to go with the fish Spencer was going to catch...or bird he was going to shoot. Spencer went out there and started a fire all by himself. He ended up cooking spagetti noodles instead of his anticipated live game. The salad never came to fruitation...Lindsey did pick the last of my two struggling pansies and had them all ready to go. But the cattails...I went and helped her pick some from our canal. I mentioned that our book said you could eat the tops like corn on the cob. I meant after they were cooked, and at the right time of year. Well, without hesitation she sank her teeth right into one of the hot dog shaped "ears". It instantly turned into a huge ball of fluff and she choked, spit and sputtered, and decided to forego the salad. Here is a picture of their shelter they made. They were determined to sleep out all night. I came out around 10:15 before I went to bed to check on them. Spencer was in tears- I'm so tired, but I have to keep awake to put wood on the fire! Well, they decided to come on in and sleep in their beds. I think they learned it's not as easy as ol' Sam Gribley made it seem to survive out in the wild!
I don't know why it underlined all that stuff, but it won't go away!! sorry---
1 comment:
Jana,
You guys are awesome. So the wikiup is like a teepee but you light it on fire to keep warm? The scarecrows look great! The pics are all very adorable. Wish we were closer.
Post a Comment