Sunday, November 1, 2009

Happy Halloween!

Well, this year, Spencer claims it was the funnest Halloween ever! The kids were all sick with the flu. Luckily, we did our pumpkin carving early last week, and they got to dress up for their clogging class last Monday...so they had some fun before the evil strike - Dallin got sick Wednesday, then the rest of the kids woke up Thursday with fevers, coughs, and headaches. Kami had been so excited counting down the days until Halloween, and watching the calendar, and drawing a little picture on the square of the 31st to remind her it was the "big day". So it was sad when yesterday they were all still coughing and had low fevers... so no trick or treating this year (boy am I glad I don't have to deal with 5 bags of candy!)

However, Spencer said it was the funnest day ever, and Kami said "it was better than trick or treating"....why? First we'll check out the pre-Halloween festivites...


Pumpkin Carving...someone was getting a little sleepy!


We had a nice warm day so we could take the mess outside...they all had fun cleaning and carving their own.

Kami really liked the digging out part.

This is the best shot I got of them lit up. Spencer's turned out pretty cute, on the far right. It's the first time he tried one of the patterns.

I'm glad I got a shot of them at their clogging class since it was the only time they really dressed up. Porter the vampire and Kami the Kangeroo also dressed up, but I didn't get a pic of them.

On Halloween day, I decided to try and get them excited about something besides trick or treating since they couldn't go. So I put up a sign that said "Come to the Spectacular Spooky Supper tonight at 6 pm... and wear your costume!" So they were all excited the whole day in anticipation of this mystery meal that I wouldn't tell them about. When dinner time came near, I rented them a movie, and had them all watch it while I made dinner, then they all came out...some dressed up, some not... to a spooky suprise meal.



Eyeballs and fingers...
(eggs and carrots and string cheese)

Rats served on a bed of worms tossed with blood, with a warm bone on the side
(meatballs and spagetti, w/a breadstick)The meatballs looked more like rats in real life than they do in the picture...they were pretty creepy, but tasted good!


Mmmmm, yummy rat!


....and last of all, a witch's hat.
(Icecream cone stuffed with chocolate icecream and a brownie brimmed hat)

So although they didn't get to go trick or treating, and some of them were drugged up on Motrin, we had fun, and made a great memory and maybe a new tradition?

2 comments:

BJ said...

I love it! What a great mom you are to be able to think of something fun to do in the midst of caring for all of the sick ones. Those rats really look good - not good, but realistic. haha.

Cindy said...

I love the rats! Sounds like you made their day, sick or not. Cute.