I've been inspired once again by the words of our church leaders....I want to try and keep life simple, enjoy the little things along the journey, and spend time doing things that matter most! Above are some links to some of the best advice for a happy life. My goal is not just to hear, but to hear and DO!!
So I'm finally getting to a back to school post. And now for the most popular question----Why do we home school? Excerpts from this talk given by our past prophet Gordon B. Hinckley , sum things up in a nice compact nutshell...
An Atmosphere of Growth.
"What a marvelously interesting thing it is to watch young minds stretch and strengthen....When I was a boy we lived in a large old house. One room was called the library. It had a solid table and a good lamp, three or four comfortable chairs with good light, and books in cases that lined the walls. There were many volumes- the acquisitions of my father and mother over a period of many years.
We were never forced to read them, but they were placed where they were handy and where we could get at them whenever we wished.
There was quiet in that room. It was understood that it was a place to study...There were books of history and literature, books on technical subjects, dictionaries, a set of encyclopedias, and an atlas of the world. There was no television, of course, at that time. Radio came along while I was growing up. But there was an environment, an environment of learning. I would not have you believe we were great scholars. But we were exposed to great literature, great ideas from great thinkers, and the language of men and women who thought deeply and wrote beautifully...
Begin early in exposing children to books. The mother who fails to read to her small children does a disservice to them and a disservice to herself. It takes time, yes, much of it. It takes self-discipline. It takes organizing and budgeting the minutes and hours of the day. But it will never be a bore as you watch young minds come to know characters, expressions, and ideas. Good reading can become a love affair, far more fruitful in long term effects than many other activities in which children use their time....Parents, work at the matter of creating an atmosphere in your homes. Let your children be exposed to great minds, great ideas, everlasting truth, and those things which will build and motivate for good.
The Lord has said to his people, "Seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith." (D&C 88:118) I wish to urge every parent within the sound of my voice to try to create within your home an atmosphere of learning and the growth which will come of it. "
("The Environment of Our Homes" by President Gordon B. Hinckley
Ensign, June 1985, pg.3
There is a link to this talk at the top of my blog because I couldn't figure out how to insert it here!)
I love watching my kids learn, grow, expand, get excited about learning...and I love doing it along with them, each child learning at their own pace. It has been a joy to be inspired together by great minds of the past through reading great literature. I love the added benefits of spending time together and developing strong lasting relationships. When the kids are grown and on their own, I would hope they continue to ask questions, find answers, and share their excitement of learning with me still! What a rewarding, challenging,and unique opportunity it is to spend these primer years with my children!!
PS We've found the words of Pres. Hinckley to be true! As we have read together as a family in the evenings we have been uplifted and inspired! It is our favorite time of the day! This year we have been hooked on Ralph Moody series. It is a biography of his life growing up in the early late 1800's and early 1900's. We have found that reading aloud opens up opportunities for us to teach and discuss the importance of family,values, hard work, honesty, and building character. Get started with Little Britches!...warning...once you start, you may be hooked!
No comments:
Post a Comment