Monday, April 21, 2008

Escalante River Adventure:Day 2





Tuesday morning we warmed our stomachs with hot oatmeal(note: yes, Ryan got the fire started with a bow drill, and our breakfast was nice and hot!!) , rolled our food and clothes into the sleeping bags, and set off. It was forecast to be very windy, and indeed it was!! One of the wind gusts toppled Porter to the ground! I think it actually made us hike faster than we normally would...the wind would blow really hard, and the sand would sting at our legs, so we'd hurry to get around the corner in hopes that it would be calmer, which it usually was! The trail wound around along with the river,and led us through river crossing after river crossing...the kids thought that is was pretty fun to have permission to get wet over and over again splashing through water! A lot of times we just hiked right in the water for awhile. It was never more than knee deep, and not too cold. It was a beautiful hike at the base of high, red rock canyons.

We found out that the dog and the sand were the best babysitters and kept Dallin happy for long periods of time! That evening we found a new campsite, another successful bowdrill fire, and a nice dinner of "Backpackers Feast"-mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, and lots of butter all mixed together in one beautiful glop!!. So far, so good on not using matches! I was a bit apprehensive about Ryan's assurance that I would have a very comfortable bed....but he turned out to live up to his promise! He made me a nice fluffy debris bed out of long grass and leaves, and I put my sleeping bag on top of it, and voila'...it provided both insulation and padding, so I slept in warmth and comfort!! Dallin slept through the night again!

3 comments:

Cindy said...

That's amazing that Dallin sleeps through the night so well while camping. That's always my biggest worry when taking little ones.
Sounds like fun! I'll look forward to hearing about the rest of the trip.

Louisa said...

Yes...I can hardly wait to hear how this turns out. Keep it coming!

Allison said...

I LOVE the pictures of Dallin, especially with the dog.