Sunday, December 14, 2008

Welcome Winter

Winter arrived in all its glory this weekend. Friday night a nice storm hit. The kids have been so excited that it will be a white Christmas!! It won't be quite as exciting in May when the snow is still here, but for now it is fun!!

Lindsey really loves reading the American Girl books. In her Kirsten book (about a family who comes to america from Sweden in the 1800's), Kirsten celebrates a Swedish tradition called St. Lucias Day.
Here is a segment from wikipedia:
Saint Lucy's Day (Santa Lucia, Saint Lucia) is the Church feast day dedicated to St. Lucy and is observed on December 13.
In the Lucia procession in the home depicted by Carl Larsson in 1908, the oldest daughter brings coffee and St. Lucia buns to her parents while wearing a candle-wreath and singing a Lucia song. Other daughters may help, dressed in the same kind of white robe and carrying a candle in one hand, but only the oldest daughter wears the candle-wreath.
If you want to read more go to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Lucy's_Day

We have Swedish ancestors, so Lindsey decided that this year she wanted to celebrate it, Lindsey style. Instead of lighting the wreath with candles, she hung a bell from it. Instead of the buns, she whipped up some gourmet instant oatmeal. Guess I don't care what it was...I got breakfast in bed!


After the luscious feast of oatmeal, we went to our church Christmas party. The kids sang a couple songs, and got to sit on Santa's lap. All but Dallin enjoyed the big red bearded guy.


It's been snowing big fluffy flakes this evening , and Dallin was so cute to watch it out the window~!



Well, Spencer and I did something scary today. We played "Joy to the World" as a violin duet in church!!! I think it sounded just fine, though my hand with the bow was shaking and making a new vibrato sound that I hadn't known I could make! Lindsey took this shot for us a couple days ago during our practicing. She wanted us to walk out all fancy, so that is why we are being silly.

3 comments:

Allison said...

The violin(s) sounded great! I think Dallin coming up at the end and grabbing your legs is classic. Tell Lindsey I think she is a beautiful and wonderful oldest daughter.

Diana said...

I had no idea you played the violin and very well I might add. Way to go!!!

Unknown said...

nice job. such a lovely melody!